Days of military glory of Russia in 2020
Traditionally, in 2020, the days of military glory in Russia will be dedicated to the memory of the great feats of Russian soldiers committed in different time periods. They are usually confined to battles, military battles and other important events that play a significant role in the history of the people and the state.
The days of military glory are an occasion for memory, reverence and respect for military personnel and civilians who took part in the confrontations.
When will they be?
The list of dates was approved at the legislative level in 1995. Periodically, changes are made to it. With the latest amendments and changes, 17 important dates are now celebrated.
You can find out the number of days of military glory of Russia in 2020 from the list below:
- 27.01.20 - lifting the blockade from Leningrad in 1944. During the 872-day isolation of the city from the outside world, millions of people died, not only from the regular bombing of the Germans, but also from starvation caused by the lack of food.
- 02.02.20 - Battle of Stalingrad in 1943. The great battle against the Nazis, in which the Soviet soldiers showed real valor.
- 23.02.20 - Defender of the Fatherland Day.
- 18.04.20 - The massacre of the year 1242. Warriors fought against the Germans, defending their native land, under the command of Alexander Nevsky.
- 09.05.20 - Victory Day in the Great Patriotic War, which lasted from 1941 to 1945.
- 07.06.20 - Chesme battle in 1770. In the confrontation with the Turks, the Russian sailors managed to win, although the number and armament of the ships were inferior to the enemy fleet.
- 10.06.20 - the battle of Poltava in 1709. The soldiers of Peter the Great were able to show their intelligence, courage and courage. They defeated the enemy, although their weapons were weaker.
- 09.08.20 - Gangut battle in 1714. For the first time, the Perth First fleet was able to show its strength and win the confrontation with the Swedes.
- 23.08.20 - The Battle of Kursk in 1943. The most important confrontation that radically changed the course of World War II.
- 08.09.20 - The battle of Borodino in 1812. The battle against the French was led by Kutuzov.
- 11.09.20 - the battle near Cape Tendra of the 1790th year. One of the main battles against the Turks conducted by Ushakov.
- 21.09.20 - The Battle of Kulikovo in 1380. The defeat of the Mongol-Tatar horde under the leadership of Dmitry Donskoy. The events of this day allowed to stop the raids of enemies that destroyed entire settlements.
- 04.11.20 - Day of national unity. The young holiday, which began to be celebrated only in 2005.
- 07.11.20 - holding a parade in honor of the anniversary of the Great October Revolution.
- 01.12.20 - battle near Cape Sinop in 1853. One of the last great battles involving sailing ships.
- 05.12.20 - The beginning of the Moscow battle in 1941. The battle took place in two stages. At first, the Soviet army boldly held the defense, and then attacked the enemy.
- 24.12.20 - the capture of Ishmael in 1790.
Important! Some dates of the days of military glory do not coincide with historical dates due to a shift of 13 days resulting from the transition from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. In historical science, such a practice is not applied, although officials ignored this.
Tradition of celebration
In the days of military glory, various events will be held. These days, soldiers of the land, naval and other troops will be honored. The most large-scale celebrations are held on May 9. A parade of military equipment is being held on Red Square. Participants come to it from different parts of the country. Be sure to honor the memory of fallen soldiers. To monuments and memorials are flowers and candles, prayers are read. Veterans are invited to celebrations that take place in many cities. The holiday necessarily ends with a salute. Fireworks are launched in honor of the military and on Defender of the Fatherland Day, but the remaining dates are marked more modestly.
In the days of military glory, the following events are also organized:
- Reconstruction of historical battles. For this, participants prepare costumes, study historical facts in detail in order to maximally reliably reproduce the events of past years. Reconstructions are usually arranged by volunteers or activists, so admission to them is free.
- Organize exhibitions on historical subjects. Depending on the date, military equipment, uniforms, weapons, etc. may be presented at the exhibition. Some museums make admission free.
- Arrange demonstrations of the military. The program of events in this case is usually supplemented by sports competitions, eating soldier's porridge and other entertainments.
Documentary and feature films dedicated to the events of the days of military glory are shown on television. Newspapers and magazines publish notes about the battles and their role in the history of Russia. If the feat of soldiers has a round date, arrange large-scale celebrations with concerts, fireworks and other special occasions.