2020 - the year of what in Russia
Since 2008, at the initiative of the President of the Russian Federation, each year has been devoted to a certain socio-cultural sphere, a historical event, a geographical object, and even an abstract concept. The purpose of the innovation is to draw special attention of the public to the chosen topic and make efforts for its development. 2020 was no exception - what year it was proclaimed, and what events are planned as part of the proclaimed topic, you will find out right now.
Theme options for 2020
The selection of key areas for political, economic and social decisions started back in 2018 under the influence of initiative groups. There were several priority topics that had every chance of becoming leaders in the coming 2020 year.
2020 is the year in which Russia could become:
Year of invention and intellectual property. For several years in a row, leading scientists of the Russian Federation have been trying to draw attention to the problem of the development of science, innovative developments and the glorification of the human intellect as a whole. Scientists and professors of various fields of scientific activity announced their readiness to work tirelessly over the coming 12 months to create and implement grandiose scientific projects. According to the initiators, this would allow:
- increase the credibility of the intellectual community and science in general;
- draw attention to the difficulties that arise in the development and implementation of innovative projects and innovative technologies;
- make the profession of an inventor in the Russian Federation more popular and in demand;
- protect Russian intellectual property developments in the foreign market;
- ensure the safety of critical scientific information.
At the moment, centers for conducting scientific experiments and innovative developments are experiencing an acute shortage of funding. Given the high intellectual potential of Russian scientists, it is precisely the lack of budget that impedes the development of science.
Year of father. The proposal came from the All-Russian Popular Front represented by Oleg Apolikhin, a specialist in reproductive health. In the framework of the program, it was proposed to pay attention to such issues:
- men's health in general is especially important against the background of a high mortality rate among the stronger sex, including the able-bodied part of the population (only 50% of Russians survive to 65 years old);
- reproductive health of men - enhanced medical examination with the prevention of pathologies of the sexual sphere and increased chances of becoming a father;
- demonstration of the importance of the father’s personality in the family - the problem arose against the backdrop of neglect by many men of their family responsibilities in terms of raising children. The year of the father is designed to create conditions for active pastimes of fathers with their children and the formation of a positive image of a man;
- an unhealthy lifestyle is a key problem that negatively affects men's health. The emphasis is placed on promoting healthy lifestyles and advocacy;
- the popularization of fatherhood in society - the organization of events to create a positive image of fatherhood, make it fashionable among young people and draw attention to the problem of responsibility in creating a family.
Year of Antarctica. The All-Russian Fleet Support Movement proposed to dedicate the year 2020 to the coldest continent on the planet. The reason was the upcoming 200th anniversary of the discovery of Antarctica, in connection with which there is an intention to organize the passage of Russian and foreign sailboats along the route of the mainland discoverers. Giving the anniversary an international status, according to the initiators of the program, would remind the world of the role of Russian travelers in the development of the sixth continent, which has been artificially lowered or hushed up recently.
The Year of Russian-South Korean Cultural Exchange. In 2020, 30 years have passed since the establishment of diplomatic relations between the Russian Federation and South Korea. Holding the “South Korean” year would strengthen interstate ties in the field of culture, carry out cultural exchanges, thereby laying the foundation for long-term relationships. As part of the initiative, a number of events are planned in the field of cinema, painting, architecture, theater, etc. It is known that a Memorandum on cultural exchanges between Russia and South Korea has already been signed, but this direction will not be key in the coming year.
Year of folk art. At a meeting of the Council on Art and Culture of the Russian Federation in December 2018, a report was read on the role of integrating cultural heritage into modern realities, on the importance of developing and maintaining established ethnic traditions. The speaker was Elena Islamuratova, director of one of the Khanty-Mansiysk creative houses. According to Elena, at present, folklore material is used very little in the professional environment, and a year of folk art could contribute to the preservation of the cultural traditions of multinational Russian society. Another prerequisite for the selection of topics was the World Folkloriad - its implementation is planned for 2020 in Bashkiria. The event is timed to the 100th anniversary of the republic, on the territory of which representatives of more than 100 ethnic groups live. The Russian president, who was present at the meeting of the Council, approved the idea and, it would seem, a verdict on the dedication of the coming year was passed, but the latest July news refuted this statement.
And yet, 2020 is declared the year of what?
Final decision on the theme of the year
On July 8, Decree No. 327 was signed, according to which the new 2020 is declared the Year of Remembrance and Glory. The arguments of this decision are understandable and quite predictable - the coming 12 months will be marked by the jubilee 75th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War, which will be celebrated on May 9, 2020. According to the President, the theme of the year will help preserve historical memory and historical truth about the greatest event of the twentieth century and remind descendants of the high price that our ancestors defeated fascism.
Representatives of the Council of CIS Heads of State supported the Russian decree with their official decision to prepare for the celebration of the anniversary victory date. The organizing committee “Victory” will be responsible for organizing and conducting the Year of Remembrance and Glory in the Russian Federation. In turn, the activities of the committee will be coordinated by the Administration of the President of the Russian Federation.
The presidential decree entered into force on the day of its signing, and work has already begun on planning holiday events and projects for honoring WWII veterans.
2020 - Year of memory and glory in Russia
Given the scale of the upcoming event, representatives of not only the Russian Federation, but other countries that are somehow related to the Great Victory will take part in the celebrations.
On May 9, 2020, a ceremonial parade will traditionally take place on the Red Square of Moscow, in which ceremonial calculations of the Russian Federation and the CIS countries will be involved, and veterans and home front workers will occupy honorary seats. They will also offer their own parades to Commonwealth member states with mutual invitation of WWII veteran delegations to significant events. French President Emmanuel Macron has already given his consent to come to the Moscow military parade, and the head of the White House, Donald Trump, is still considering the invitation received.
What other events are planned to be held in the Year of Remembrance and Glory:
- the relay race of Victory along the external borders of the countries that are part of the CIS;
- International Forum of Winners “Great Victory obtained by unity”;
- scientific and military-historical conferences;
- seminars on combating distortion and falsification of the history of the Second World War;
- International festival "Katyusha" with the participation of creative teams, representatives of law enforcement agencies and the armed forces;
- military and film festivals and music festivals;
- The international competition of military professional skill "Warrior of the Commonwealth";
- contests of children's drawings, photo exhibitions and expositions;
- International Olympiads among cadets of military educational institutions;
- climbing military athletes to the peak of Communism (Tajikistan) and the peak of Lenin (Kyrgyzstan);
- creative meetings, performances, screenings of documentaries and feature films;
- special television projects dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Victory over fascism;
- international historical quest “Victory”.
Planned projects and field events:
- honoring WWII veterans and residents of besieged Leningrad;
- delivery of greeting cards and gift sets to war veterans;
- rehabilitation of veterans in spa and sanatorium institutions and social and health centers;
- one-time financial assistance;
- the organization of trips of veterans, members of their families and close relatives of the deceased participants of the Second World War to places of military glory and burial places;
- improvement of living conditions and affordable physical assistance to single elderly citizens;
- allocation of funds for the purchase and installation of tombstones for veterans who died before June 12, 1990;
- social support for rear workers, in particular, the provision of medical services for prosthetics.
This is not a complete list of all projects and events for the anniversary victory year. Many ideas are still at the development stage and have not yet been made public. Actions and flash mobs organized by volunteers and all concerned citizens will help to support the theme of 2020.
Finally, recall what each previous year was dedicated to. 2019 was named the year of the theater, 2017 - the environmental sphere, 2016 - Russian cinema, and 2015 - literature.