Epiphany bathing in 2020
According to the Gospel texts, when Jesus was 30 years old, John baptized him in r. Jordan. At that moment, the Holy Spirit descended upon our savior in the guise of a dove, and a voice from above called him his beloved son and good will. This event is dedicated to the celebration of the Baptism of the Lord, or, as they say, the Epiphany, or Jordan. After baptism, the Son of God went into the wilderness for 40 days, prayed, fasted and prepared to fulfill his divine mission on Earth.
What is the number of Jordanians celebrated among the Orthodox
In all churches, the Epiphany is tied to the more ancient feast of the Epiphany, January 6 (according to the Julian calendar). Different dates of the holiday in different churches are explained by the use of different calendars, as well as the celebration a week later, on the next Sunday or on the feast of the Epiphany and Christmas. Most Orthodox Christians, including Russians, use the Gregorian calendar, and therefore celebrate Baptism on January 19.
Swimming in the hole: why and how to do it
Plunge into the Jordan (cross-shaped wormwood) and get holy water - perhaps the most famous and widespread baptismal rites today, although both of them are of folk rather than church origin. It is believed that baptismal water helps to cleanse oneself from sins, cleanses and protects from diseases for the whole year. And supporters of this tradition, and even doctors agree that, subject to certain rules, it is really good for health: it rejuvenates the skin, cleanses the body and activates its protective functions and resistance against diseases ...
However, all this is legitimate only subject to certain rules - both church and medical. So, in order for bathing to bring spiritual cleansing, before it follows:
- Attend holiday service
- Read the Baptism of the Lord in the church
- Confess to the priest in their sins, receive a blessing
- Communion, drink holy water
- Monitor the purity of your thoughts and speech, do not swear and do not think about evil
Only after that, bathing or just washing with holy water will help to cleanse itself - as an addition and final rite, but not the only one.
From a purely physical point of view, to maintain and enhance health, doctors make recommendations:
- To prepare your body, at least a week before the holiday, begin to take a contrast shower daily, ending with a pouring of ice water.
- Do not drink alcohol before or after swimming - it is dangerous! It will not help to warm up, but will only increase the load on the blood vessels and heart.
- You should not dive either hungry or on an overfilled stomach: eat hearty a couple of hours before dipping.
- Immediately before you plunge, warm up the body with physical exercises: squat or go jogging.
- Immerse yourself in water gradually, giving the body a little time to adapt.
- Those who dive for the first time are advised not to wet their heads and stay in water for no longer than 20 seconds. Experienced walruses can swim for up to 2 minutes, and diving with a head is recommended only at air temperatures above -70 ° C.
- After bathing, quickly dry your skin with a towel, but do not rub it too much, and immediately put on warm, dry clothes and shoes, starting with a hat. It is better that the underwear is also warm, and all clothes are dressed as conveniently and quickly as possible.
- To keep warm, drink hot tea or coffee, prepared in a thermos beforehand or offered by prudent street vendors.
Who is contraindicated swimming in the hole
Fully undress and plunge into icy water in the Epiphany frost - a serious burden and test for the body, especially if this is your first time doing it. Therefore, you should not take risks if you have problems with the cardiovascular or respiratory system, including arrhythmia, hypertension, and asthma. Also, due to the load on the vessels, it is forbidden to plunge on drinking.
You should always especially protect the health of children under 12 years of age, the elderly and pregnant women - including, and such stress should be abandoned. In addition, sinusitis, diseases and inflammation of the kidneys, bladder or genitals, bacterial infections will serve as a contraindication - they can aggravate and worsen.
Where in Moscow you can plunge into the wormwood
Every year in the capital, the number of people wishing to plunge into the wormwood is growing, this year the authorities expect about 180 thousand people. For them, more than 60 fonts, ice holes, and Jordanians will be open throughout the city.
Barrels font, wooden and ice, will be installed on the square. Revolution, in Catherine Park, at the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and in the Vernissage of Izmailovo.
On the Moscow River, you can plunge into the village. Rublevo, at the street Filevskaya 40A and Filevsky boulevard 20, on Karamyshevskaya embankment and in Moskvoretsky park. Another 3 ice-holes will be at the Khimki reservoir: at the Dynamo stadium, ul. Liberty 56 and in the hospital bay.
The remaining ice-holes will be located on numerous ponds and lakes of the capital (almost on each), as well as on the river. Baryshikha, Derivational canal, Stroginsky and Kirov floodplains.
Each wormwood will be equipped for the comfort and safety of swimmers. Around the hole will organize a non-slip flooring, convenient descent into the water with a railing, lights, changing rooms and a heating point, food points and toilets. Some Jordanians will have free tea with bagels, a territory decorated with Christmas trees, a mobile bathhouse. At all official bathing places, ambulance, police and rescue personnel will ensure safety, so that everything will be safe and convenient. To prevent accidents, the police will also patrol all ponds where swimming is not provided.
Signs: what the baptismal weather promises
Since ancient times, people have noted the connection of weather on certain days, mainly festive, with the harvest and success of the next year. Baptism and its traditional frosts were no exception:
- If there is frost on the trees - on the same day of the week you need to sow wheat
- Sunny day - to a poor harvest
- Starry sky - to dry summer and the harvest of peas and berries, large offspring of cattle
- Snow on Epiphany Eve - for a good cereal crop, in the morning - for buckwheat crop, and a blizzard - for the successful work of bees
- A good sign that promises happiness for a lifetime is to be baptized that day or arrange a wedding.
Epiphany traditions and rites: what is customary to do
Celebrate the Baptism of the Lord on January 18 evening, on Christmas Eve. The whole family gathers for a gala dinner with dumplings, pancakes, pastries, patterned, fish dishes and cereals, and at the head of the table is a popcorn, kuti made of rice or wheat with nuts, raisins, fruits or jam and honey. Despite not a holiday, a fasting dinner is without meat and dairy products, and, of course, without alcohol.
After that you should visit the festive church service, at the end of which the priest will bless the water. Confess and pray for the remission of sins, take communion, drink holy water - agiasm, wash it or plunge into the hole. Do not forget to take some water with you - to sprinkle housing and those who could not come to the temple. You can also drink this water and wash it all year in case of illness or any problems, because it does not disappear.
It is scientifically proven that on Epiphany days any water on Earth changes its structure and biological activity, that is, even holy water flows from a tap.
Among folk traditions, in addition to swimming in the ice-hole, one can note the custom of taking a shower at midnight, as well as sanctifying all the water in the house, exposing it to an open window in the moonlight.
What cannot be done at the baptism of the Lord
The Epiphany is a happy day in which one should rejoice that the Lord pointed to his Son on earth. Therefore, you should not cry, curse, swear, speak out badly or even think about someone.
In addition, do not turn diving into an ice hole into secular entertainment - you should not do this without first attending church service, confession and communion.
It is believed that washing and cleaning on this day, you defile the water - because it is all holy. Also, do not sew, knit, do physically hard work and guess.