Epiphany frosts in 2020
According to popular beliefs, Epiphany frosts always begin on the feast of Baptism. Since this church holiday falls at the end of January, the most severe and severe frosts are most often set at this time. Epiphany frosts in 2020 will have to come, about January 18-19, sometimes they come earlier, sometimes a little later, but their names do not change.
According to meteorological observations, this particular winter period is the most severe. It is the middle of winter, frosts are intensifying. But most people associate this phenomenon with something mystical, religious. The Orthodox believe that at the Epiphany there are always severe frosts. Yes, in Siberia, the Far East, as a rule, there is a harsh winter, the air temperature can drop to -30 degrees Celsius, but in the central part of the country the temperature is not always so high.
Hydrometeorologists themselves do not consider this a regularity, and that there will be frosts at Baptism. According to them, the temperature drops below the norm only in 30-35% of cases, most often, 50%, it turned out to be above the norm.
The weather changes every year and it is very difficult to predict what temperature will be at Epiphany. This inconstancy is explained by the variability of air currents in the air.
Duration of Epiphany frosts
In its duration, due to turbulence in the atmosphere, it is impossible to accurately predict how long the frost will last and whether it will be at all. Often, according to meteorological stations, a thaw sets in at Epiphany, and the frosts themselves come at the very end of January, from 22 and early February. In Moscow, the average temperature on January 19 is - 6 - 8 C. The lowest temperatures in Moscow at Epiphany were recorded twice:
- In 1927, the temperature was recorded at around minus 32 C;
- In 1940, the temperature dropped to an absolute minimum and amounted to 42 degrees.
Frosts are not stable and rarely fall on the same date.
National signs and traditions
Despite a significant cooling on a church holiday, people accompany this event with mass bathing in the ice holes.
Be sure these days, believers go to church to pray and get holy water. Epiphany bathing is arranged every year, even on those days when very low temperatures are really set on the street. A font in the form of a cross is cut out on the rivers and lakes frozen in the winter, an ice hole is made, the clergyman lights it up and after that people in turn come and dip. It is believed that if you plunged into such water, then you will be cleansed from sins. This event is associated with the story of the baptism of Jesus Christ by John the Baptist on the Jordan River.
There are several signs associated with Epiphany frost:
- If it was snowing these days, the buckwheat crop promised to be large;
- If there was a thaw, then the year will be fruitful;
- If the frosts were stronger than at Christmas, then a thaw would soon come;
- If the Epiphany frost was accompanied by a blizzard, then it was in late spring and frosts would remain until spring.
Although Epiphany frosts are not constant and are definitely not defined, the Russian people are very convinced that it is precisely such baptisms that are associated with Baptism. This concept is very densely populated not only in colloquial speech, but also in literature. Many writers to one degree or another mention this event.
- “She was known as cold as a baptismal winter, and she intimidated everyone with her inaccessible, her formidable virtue.” (Dostoevsky - “Humiliated and Offended”);
- “I will die in Epiphany frosts.
I will die when birch trees crack ...
And in the spring the horror will be complete ... ”
(Poet Ivan Rubtsov, 1970)
- “Woo! how is now surrounded
She is baptized with cold. ”
(Pushkin A. S. “Eugene Onegin”)
- The writer Vladimir Lyalenkov has a story entitled “Epiphany frosts.”
The coldest days in the history of Epiphany frosts in the cities of the country:
- Chelyabinsk. In 1969, the lowest temperature was recorded - 35 C;
- St. Petersburg. The coldest day on Epiphany frost is January 19, 1940, when the temperature dropped to -29.6 degrees. Given the strong and cold winds of the city, the temperature was even lower;
- Tomsk In 1900, frosts hit minus 47 degrees;
- Irkutsk The coldest January 19 fell in 1947, the thermometer showed - 43.3 C;
- Verkhoyansk, near Yakutia. In 1898, the lowest temperature on January 19 was - 63.0 degrees;
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. In 1961 - minus 36.2 C.
As can be seen from the above list, Epiphany frosts for each region are different. If in Siberia frosts fall on the 19th with a mark of -30 degrees, then for residents of Central Russia the mark of -20 degrees is also significant. It all depends on the climate of the area and the nature.
According to the national calendar, frosts are not only Epiphany, but also others, also associated with some mystical and religious events of the year.
- Afanasyevsky frosts. Drop out on January 31. Named after Athanasius the Great;
- Sretensky frosts. The date is February 15th. An event related to this is considered the meeting of the baby Christ with Saints Simeon and Anna. Meeting means meeting;
- Vlasievsky frosts, February 24th. They are more associated with pagan traditions. This day is associated with the name of Blasius, who identifies the pagan god Veles.
These frosts are not so frequent, so there is not much mention of them.
At the moment, weather forecasters all claim that the Epiphany frosts are in no way connected with the Christian holiday Epiphany. People like to tie events to church holidays, to wrap them in the sacrament. It is impossible to predict for years to come that on this day there will be severe frost. Therefore, frosts most often occur in early January and at the very end, capturing February. January 18-19, according to meteorologists, the average temperature for each region of the country is established. The change of weather is affected by cyclones coming to the territory of the country from one side or the other. Anticyclones from the north influence the central part.
The exact date of the onset of Epiphany frosts is unknown to anyone, but most often the January frosts are associated with a certain event. It doesn’t matter at the beginning of January and at the very end frosts occur.